BECOME A HEAVY VEHICLE DRIVING INSTRUCTOR
TLI41321 CERTIFICATE IV IN TRANSPORT & LOGISTICS (ROAD TRANSPORT – HEAVY VEHICLE DRIVING INSTRUCTION)
OUR NEXT FULL-TIME COURSE WILL START ON MONDAY 02nd MAY 2022. ENROLMENTS INTO OUR REMOTE & BLENDED DELIVERY COURSES ARE NOW OPEN.
DELIVERY OPTIONS: (BLENDED DELIVERY – PERSONAL STUDY REQUIRED) | (FACE TO FACE – FULL-TIME)
COURSE OPTIONS: 16 TO 24 WEEKS (BLENDED COURSE) | 7 WEEKS (FACE 2 FACE – FULL-TIME)
Thank you for taking an interest in our TLI41321 Certificate IV in Transport & Logistics (Road Transport – Heavy Vehicle Driving Instruction) course. This qualification forms part of the criteria involved to become a Heavy Vehicle Trainer and Assessment for many of the states in Australia. In Victoria, this qualification is recommended and preferred by many heavy vehicle training providers recruiting trainers and assessors.
Enrolling in our course and joining the driver training industry is incredibly rewarding and is guaranteed to provide you with a career full of interest and diversity. The services a driver trainer provides to the public and corporate world is a huge benefit to the communities they work within, making our roads a safer place one driver at a time. Right now across Australia, our former students are making a difference in the lives of thousands of individuals and businesses.
Upon successful completion, you can commence full time, part-time, casual or self-employed work. This accredited course includes the skills and knowledge required to become a Qualified Heavy Vehicle Driving Instructor (also known as a Driver Trainer) able to seek employment in fields such as Learn to Drive, Licensing and Defensive Driver Training.
Your ability to make a difference and deliver great education starts with your choice to receive a great education with Intelligent Training Solutions. Our team consists of driver trainers that work throughout Victoria and are active participants in the heavy vehicle driver training and transport industry. Our classroom and support staff are industry experts that work throughout the various states supporting driver trainers and trainee instructors such as you.
We are proud to boast that our course goes above and beyond the standard Certificate IV criteria as we share our experiences of the last 20+ years within the heavy vehicle driver training industry. Regardless of whether you plan to become self-employed, work as a full-time or part-time trainer, or as a casual employee for a driving school, we will be here to guide you through the process with first-hand knowledge and experience.
COURSE SUBJECTS (UNITS OF COMPETENCY)
Our course includes the following Nationally Accredited Units of Competence:
(This course is from the TLI Transport and Logistics Training Package)
This qualification is the recommended entry requirement for anybody wanting to become a Heavy Vehicle driver trainer. Our course has been designed and developed to provide you with the information, training and skills you will require to become a qualified professional Heavy Vehicle driving instructor turning you into a valuable asset and allowing you to start work immediately with any driving school or driver training business.
By completing this course you will gain the skills and knowledge required to start your career as a heavy vehicle driver trainer. As a heavy vehicle driver trainer, you will have the choice of starting your new career as a full time, a part-time or casual employee of a Heavy Vehicle driving school or as an independent heavy vehicle instructor working for oneself.
Once you have successfully completed this qualification, you may want to consider completing the TLISS00162 Driving Instructor Skill Set. This Skill Set provides you with the skills and knowledge required to undertake a licence assessment in states such as the ACT and South Australia, however in Victoria, this skill set will provide you with the underpinning knowledge of how the Department of Transport (VicRoads) go about their drive assessment, which in turn, allows you to become a better driving instructor that can thoroughly prepare their students for their drive assessment. Refer to our TLISS00162 web page for more information.
For those students wishing to use this qualification and the skills and knowledge gained throughout the course in a higher education setting, you may also be interested in the TAE40116 Certificate IV in Training and Assessment course.
CONSIDER A CAREER AS A CAR DRIVING INSTRUCTOR
For those interested in having a diverse career and who are keen to expand their skills within the Transport & Logistics industry, you may want to consider completing the TLI41221 Certificate IV in Transport & Logistics (Road Transport – Car Driving Instructor) course. Direct credit is provided for 7 of the 12 units within the TLI41221 qualification to any student who undertakes the course after having enrolled or successfully completed the TLI41321 (Heavy Vehicle) qualification.
CONSIDER A CAREER AS A MOTORCYCLE RIDER INSTRUCTION
Students who have a motorbike licence and wish to train motorcycle riders may want to consider completing the TLI41421 Certificate IV in Transport & Logistics (Road Transport – Motorcycle Riding Instructor) course. Direct credit is provided for 8 of the 11 units within the TLI41421 qualification to any student who undertakes the course after having enrolled or successfully completed the TLI41221 (Car) qualification.
THINGS TO KNOW BEFORE YOU ENROL
Prior to enrolling in this course, you must know that the various state Regulators generally frown upon the following:
- You have a criminal record. – This criterion is subject to change as currently not every recorded crime will stop you from becoming a heavy vehicle driver trainer and assessor, however, we can say for certain that those with a sexual assault charge, a history of child abuse, or a history of aggression or assault etc… against their name will not be eligible to work in this industry
- You have multiple driving offences – This criterion does not affect those who have had a few speeding or parking tickets, however, those people who repeatedly break the law, or have serious traffic infringements against their name such as drink driving charges should check with their potential employer to see they their history will exclude them from the industry before enrolling into this course.
- You have had your licence suspended multiple times
If any of the above concerns you, we recommend speaking with our course coordinator prior to enrolling in this course.
We have two enrolment options for you when it comes to enrolling in this wonderful qualification. We suggest contacting our office to discuss these options in detail, in the meantime click on the two options below for a brief overview on each option.
OUR STUDENT PORTAL - (A QUICK GLIMPSE)
We have worked tirelessly on our student portal to provide you with an educational pathway that delivers more variety, interactivity and meaningful information using a variety of platforms than any other provider. We have quite literally picked up our full-time course and placed it on our student portal where you can access it at any time and in any place.
Over the years we have created in-house learning materials that include presentations, animations, videos, recorded webinars, live webinars, industry-approved texts, additional support materials and much, much more to ensure that our blended delivery course delivers you the same learning, qualification, employment outcomes and opportunities when compared to our full-time course. Best of all, we have put the hard work into our Portal and materials to ensure that your experience on this course is simple and stress-free. You will be provided with a clean, easy to use and simple to navigate Portal with the information you need is never more than three (3) clicks away. Our course contains materials for all learning styles (Auditory, Visual, Kinesthetic) yet you will never need to learn how to use different computer programs or platforms as our Portal handles it all.
Our blended delivery course is not an online course where you are left to your own devices to become overwhelmed and uninspired to complete the course and gain the qualification. It is not just another student portal where endless amounts of text and data have been dumped and left to die along with your chances of becoming a successful driver trainer.
Our portal will provide you with access to everything you require to successfully complete the different sections of the qualification at your convenience. You will regularly have contact with us and access to unparalleled support to fill in any gaps.
Student support is a cornerstone of our organisation. Regardless if you are a full time, part-time or blended delivery student, you will always have access to your course trainers or support officers. Whether you wish to engage our services on a daily basis, once a week or in blocks is up to you. We have scheduled student support times as well as the ability to generate a support service at any time via our website. Support for this qualification is available in the following formats and times:
TYPE OF SUPPORT AVAILABLE DAYS AVAILABLE TIMES AVAILABLE PHONE SUPPORT MON, TUE, WED, THU, FRI 8.45am to 4.45pm EMAIL SUPPORT MON, TUE, WED, THU, FRI 8.45am to 4.45pm LIVE VIDEO CHAT MON, TUE, WED, THU, FRI 8.45am to 4.45pm FACE TO FACE MON, TUE, WED, THU, FRI 8.45am to 4.45pm AFTER HOURS MON, TUE, WED, THU, FRI, SAT BY APPOINTMENT
*NOTE: Responses to email support requests will occur during the times stated above, however, responses may be delayed up to 24 hours. If your support enquiry is urgent we recommend calling us.
BEFORE YOU ENROL
Before you enrol in this course, our enrolment officer will arrange to see you in person or via a live video meet. During this meeting, you will be issued a Product Disclosure Statement (PDS) for this course. The information contained in our PDS expands on the information found on this web page or that was supplied to you over the phone when you first enquire with us. Prior to enrolment, one of our team will walk you through this document highlighting any expectations we will have from you and providing you with the transparency of your commitment to this course.
HOW TO ENROL IN THIS COURSE
If you would like to enrol in this course you must complete the enrolment process below. To enrol online simply click the button below of the course you wish to enrol in.
To get a PDF version of the enrolment form, visit the Student Administration section of our website, alternatively, you may wish to speak with one of our team during business hours.
OUR ENROLMENT PROCESS
Once you have completed step one, your enrolment officer will submit your enrolment forms to our office. Once received, the following process will be applied:
- You will receive a confirmation text message from us to inform you that we have received your enrolment form. This text message may take between 1 to 12 hours to arrive, and will only be sent Monday through Friday as this message is only transmitted once our team have your enrolment form in hand.
- For our blended delivery students, our administration team will call you to arrange your first face-to-face appointment with your trainer. If you are a full-time student your first face-to-face appointment will be day one of your course.
- You will receive a number of emails from us. These emails may take between 1 to 24 hours to arrive and may include:
- A welcome email will contain information and instructions on how to access your course along with your trainer’s contact details and the location and time of your scheduled training. Our welcome letter also contains details to your first face-to-face appointment with our trainer together with your student portal login details.
- We will send you a TAX invoice or receipt for your records regardless of your preferred payment option.
- We will send you an email containing information on your USI requirements for this course
- You will then receive a final text message (SMS) informing you that your enrolment has been processed. This final text message will also list the emails we have sent you so that you can be sure that you have received all our correspondence.
This course will be delivered from the following training venues and places in Victoria. Intelligent Training Solutions also delivers this course in South Australia, New South Wales, and the ACT. For course delivery options and training locations interstate, please contact 03 5415 0215.
QUALIFICATION ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA
There are no listed or identified entry requirements for this qualification within the training package. An inspection of the units of competency suggests that students wishing to enrol into this qualification should:
- Possess a current, unrestricted Australian drivers licence
- Fulfil all of the relevant state or territory regulatory requirements.
- Have LLN (Language, Literacy and Numeracy) skills equivalent to Level 3 or higher of the ACSF, which identifies adult English language, literacy and numeracy language indicators of competence.
NOTE: You will be required to complete an LLN indication assessment prior to your enrolment being accepted into this course. If you have any concerns about the LLN assessment please speak with us first as we are always happy to help.*
*Students who demonstrate LLN skills that are below a Level 3 can still participate and are expected to successfully complete this course, however, you will be encouraged to join our part-time course to ensure that our staff can provide you with the LLN support you may require.
COURSE ENTRY RECOMMENDATIONS
In order to successfully participate in this course, we strongly recommend that you possess the following criteria and personal skills prior to enrolling in this course:
- Possess a current, full and unrestricted Australian Light, or Medium Rigid Drivers Licence/Endorsement (as a minimum).NOTE: Students must hold the licence/endorsement pertinent to the relevant vehicle category being: Light Rigid, Medium Rigid, Heavy Rigid, Heavy Combination or Multi-Combination.
- Fulfil all of the relevant State or Territory regulatory requirements with regard to heavy vehicle licensing. Refer to your states road traffic regulator for further information
- The instructor’s LLN (Language, Literacy and Numeracy) are expected to be equivalent to Level 3 of the ACSF.
PLEASE NOTE: You will be required to complete an LLN indication assessment prior to your enrolment being accepted into this course. The outcome of this assessment will not stop you from successfully enrolling or completing this course. This LLN indicator assessment is solely for the benefit of your trainers and assessors. It will provide them with the information they need to support you through this qualification. If you have any concerns about the LLN assessment, please speak with us first as we are always happy to help.
- Have an understanding of the operations of a manual gearbox.
- Have reasonable computer skills to be able to work the computer and browse the internet.
(ONLY REQUIRED FOR BLENDED DELIVERY AND PART-TIME STUDENTS. FULL-TIME STUDENTS WILL BE ASSISTED BY THEIR IN-CLASS TRAINERS)
- Have the ability to take on new information and be willing to change personal habits.
INDUSTRY RECOMMENDED ENTRY REQUIREMENTS
The following criteria have been identified as recommended through industry engagement when undertaking this qualification as they reflect the job function of a heavy vehicle driver trainer.
Organisations such as independent, small and large established driving schools (inclusive of solo operators) recommend that all participants wishing to become a Qualified Heavy Vehicle Trainer and Assessor should have:
- Have reasonable computer skills to be able to create documents such as invoices, and drive test routes. You should also have reasonable skills with browsing the internet for researching road rules, regulations and communicating with professional associations, industry groups and clubs.NOTE: Computer skills will also be required for our blended delivery and part-time students. Our full-time students will have the support of their trainers and assessment and therefore won’t need computer skills in order to successfully participate and complete this qualification.
- Provide primary acceptable proof of identification
- Provide secondary proof of identification
- Meet the medical standards for licensing of commercial vehicle drivers as set out in the publication assessing fitness to drive.
- Pass a driver history check. Applicants will be checked for serious or frequent traffic offences.
NOTE: Please speak with your enrolment officer if you have any concerns with the recommended industry requirements.
Each unit of competence will be assessed. All assessments will be based on the principles of CBT (Competency-Based Training). A successful outcome for this course will be determined by a range of different methods including:
- Assessment or student workbook
- Written assessments
- Observation of simulated and practical activities
- Structured questioning and discussion
- Written or verbal questioning at the completion of each session.
RECOGNITION OF PRIOR LEARNING (RPL) | DIRECT CREDIT TRANSFER / MUTUAL RECOGNITION (DCT/MR)
Intelligent Training Solutions will consider any credit or exemptions for previous studies or industry experience you have obtained. This may be through formal or informal training, paid or unpaid work experience. An application for DCT or RPL will be completed via a formal interview process prior to your enrolment. Further information is available by speaking with our course coordinator. You can also find information on Credit Transfers and RPL via our Help Centre: https://www.its.vic.edu.au/knowledge-base/
RESOURCES AND TEXTBOOKS
The following is a list of the textbooks used in our course. You will be provided with electronic copies (PDF versions) of the following books
TLI41318 RESOURCES AND TEXT BOOKS
|CODE||TITLE OF BOOK||APPROXIMATE PRICE||AVAILABLE FROM|
|ISBN No. 978-0-473-13382-5||Professional Skills for Driving Trucks||FREE||STUDENT PORTAL|
|Road Safety Road Rules 2017||$53.44||WWW.LEGISLATION.VIC.GOV.AU|
|Road Safety (Driving Instructor) Regulations 2010||$4.22||WWW.LEGISLATION.VIC.GOV.AU|
|Truck and Bus Handbook||$11.30||VICROADS|
All learning and assessment materials required by this qualification are provided to you as part of your enrolment into this course, together with a printed hard copy in form of a course folder and contain:
- The student hand-out materials for each unit of competence
- The student assessment tools used on the course.
- Any learning materials that are in addition to the online presentations and videos
NOTE: Student learner guides are not provided in this course folder, instead we have contextualised the information of these units into an online presentation that you will have full access to as part of your Learner Portal. Learning and assessment materials are provided to you in PDF or Microsoft Word (electronic) format.
Replacement course folders are charged at $108.90 (inc GST)
In addition to the above, you will also be required to supply your own resources as follows:
- Working pens and highlighters
- A4 lined workbooks for taking notes
- An active email address
- A working computer or laptop with the following programs installed:
- Microsoft Word 365 or higher – (NOTE: Microsoft’s free OPEN Office software is also acceptable)
- The latest version of Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox
- The latest version of Adobe PDF Reader – This is a FREE program available for download online.
- Access to the Internet (ADSL2+ or 3G is the minimum requirement)
- USB memory stick (minimum 4 Gig).
- UV approved sunglasses, Sunscreen 50+ minimum, Sun hat and suitable shoes for driving. No thongs or bare feet will be allowed in our vehicles
The following resources are provided to you via PDF file format and are generally available free of charge as a PDF document from their publishers, however, it is strongly recommended that you consider purchasing printed copies of these textbooks to keep with you throughout the course and in your vehicle, once you become qualified as a driving instructor. Every driving instructor should have a printed copy of the road rules, regulations and testing criteria with them while on the job.
The publications listed in the table below can be purchased directly from the publishers or ordered through the Intelligent Training Solutions online store.
* Prices for the above publications may change without notice.
UPON SUCCESSFUL COMPLETION OF THIS COURSE
Once you have successfully completed this course you will be issued with a Record of Results and a Certificate of Completion within 30 days of your final successful assessment*.
*A student’s results and/or certificate will only be issued to a student once all enrolment fees have been paid in full with the exception of those student’s on a PayRight payment plan (interest-free student loan).
TESTIMONIES, GOOGLE REVIEWS AND RATINGS
We strongly recommend checking out the reviews people have left for us on Google as we believe that live reviews and ratings speak volumes compared to the static snippets of favourable reviews most other training providers put on their websites.
Below is a live feed from our Google reviews. Please note as this is an unfiltered feed, the reviews listed below are from students of every course we deliver. If you wish to find a specific review on this course you may need to look through the list. 🙂