BECOME A CAR DRIVING INSTRUCTOR IN VICTORIA WITH THE NEW TLI41221 CERTIFICATE IV IN TRANSPORT & LOGISTICS (ROAD TRANSPORT – CAR DRIVING INSTRUCTION) COURSE
Enrolling in our course and joining the driver training industry is incredibly rewarding and is guaranteed to provide you with a career full of interest and diversity. The services a driver trainer provides to the public and corporate world is a huge benefit to the communities they work within, making our roads a safer place one driver at a time. Right now across Australia, our former students are making a difference in the lives of thousands.
Your ability to make a difference and deliver great education starts with your choice to receive a great education with Intelligent Training Solutions. Our team consists of driver trainers that work throughout Victoria and are active participants in the driver training and transport industry. Our classroom and support are industry experts that work throughout the various states supporting driver trainers and trainee instructors such as you.
As an added bonus, Intelligent Training Solutions provides its student’s with the insights and opportunities unavailable anywhere else due to many important industry events we participate in or host in such as:
- Trialling and developing the Certificate IV qualification for the industry regulators
- Supplying staff for the VicRoads GLS licence trials
- In the driver seat (A truly unique vision-impaired driving experience)
- We are the only course provider that is an approved VicRoads Road Smart off-road provider
- We are the co-administrators of the largest private Facebook group for driving instructors in Australia and many, many more…
We are proud to boast that our course goes above and beyond the standard Certificate IV criteria as we share our experiences of the last 20+ years within the driver training industry. Regardless if you plan to become self-employed, work as a full-time or part-time trainer, or as a casual employee for a driving school, we will be here to guide you through the process with first-hand knowledge and experience.
Most importantly, long after you have completed your course with us, long after you have started your new career, Intelligent Training Solutions will still be here to support and guide you in this industry. An Intelligent Training Solutions student is a student for life. Just ask our last 20 years of students!
UNITS OF COMPETENCY (COURSE SUBJECTS)
Our course includes the following Nationally Accredited Units of Competency:
(This course is part of the Transport and Logistics Training Package)
This qualification is the prerequisite for the Driver Instructors Authority (DIA) issued by Commercial Passenger Vehicles Victoria. Our course has been designed and developed to provide you with the information, training and skills you will require to become a qualified, professional car driving instructor turning you into a valuable asset to any driving school or driver training business.
Once you have successfully completed this course, you will have the skills and knowledge required to start your new career as a qualified driving instructor. After successfully completing this course and finalise the last steps to apply for the DIA (Driving Instructor Authority) you will need to:
- Complete a medical assessment which is done through your own GP
- Agree to a driver and police history check, and finally
- Submit an application form with the CPVV which includes a PassPort photo
Once all these steps are completed and providing that you don’t have a criminal history (sexual assault, child abuse, aggression etc…) or repeated driving offences, you will be ready and qualified to start your new career.
Once you have successfully completed this qualification, you may want to consider completing the TLISS00162 Driving Instructor Skill Set. This Skill Set provides you with the skills and knowledge required to undertake a drivers licence assessment in states such as the ACT and South Australia, however in Victoria, this skill set will provide you with the underpinning knowledge of how the Department of Transport (VicRoads) go about their drive assessment, which in turn, allows you to become a better driving instructor that can thoroughly prepare their students for their drive assessment. Refer to our TLISS00162 web page for more information.
For those students wishing to use this qualification and the skills and knowledge gained throughout the course in a higher education setting, you may also be interested in the TAE40116 Certificate IV in Training and Assessment course.
CONSIDER A CAREER AS A HEAVY VEHICLE DRIVING INSTRUCTOR
For those students who have a heavy vehicle licence and are keen to expand their skills within the Transport & Logistics industry, you may want to consider completing the TLI41321 Certificate IV in Transport & Logistics (Road Transport – Heavy Vehicle Driving Instructor) course. Direct credit is provided for 8 of the 14 units within the TLI41321 qualification to any student who undertakes the course after having enrolled or successfully completed the TLI41221 (Car) qualification.
CONSIDER A CAREER AS A MOTORCYCLE RIDER INSTRUCTION
Students who have a motorbike licence and wish to train motorcycle riders may want to consider completing the TLI41421 Certificate IV in Transport & Logistics (Road Transport – Motorcycle Riding Instructor) course. Direct credit is provided for 8 of the 11 units within the TLI41421 qualification to any student who undertakes the course after having enrolled or successfully completed the TLI41221 (Car) qualification.
THINGS TO KNOW BEFORE YOU ENROL
Prior to enrolling in this course and before you can be issued with a DIA, you must know that the CPVV will not issue you with a DIA if:
- You have a criminal record. – This criterion is subject to change as currently not every recorded crime will stop you from obtaining a DIA, however, we can say for certain that those people with sexual assault charges, a history of child abuse, a history of aggression etc… against their name will not be eligible to work in this industry
- You have multiple driving offences – This criterion does not affect those who have had a few speeding or parking tickets, however, those people who repeatedly break the law, or have serious traffic infringements against their name such as drink driving charges should check with the CPVV to see they their history will exclude them from the industry before enrolling into this course.
- You have had your licence suspended multiple times
If any of the above concerns you, we recommend speaking with our course coordinator or the CPVV prior to enrolling in this course.
We have three different enrolment options for you when it comes to enrolling in this wonderful qualification. We suggest contacting our office to discuss these options in detail, in the meantime click on the three options below for information on each option.
OUR STUDENT PORTAL – (A QUICK GLIMPSE)
We have worked tirelessly on our student portal to provide you with an educational pathway that delivers more variety, interactivity and meaningful information using a variety of platforms than any other provider. We have quite literally picked up our full-time course and placed it on our student portal where you can access it at any time and in any place.
Over the years we have created in-house learning materials that include presentations, animations, videos, recorded webinars, scheduled live webinars, industry-approved texts, additional support materials and much, much more to ensure that our blended delivery or part-time course delivers you the same learning, qualification, employment outcomes and opportunities when compared to our full-time course. Best of all, we have put in the hard work into our student portal and materials to ensure that your experience on this course is as simple and stress-free as possible for anybody studying a Certificate IV qualification.
You will be provided with a clean, easy to use and simple to navigate Portal where the information you need is never more than three clicks away. Our course contains materials for all learning styles (Auditory, Visual, Kinesthetic) yet you will never need to learn how o use different computer programs or platforms as our Portal handles it all.
For those interested in our blended delivery course, you will be happy to know that it is not an online course where you are left to your own devices to become overwhelmed and uninspired to complete. It is not another student portal where endless amounts of text and data have been dumped and left to die along with your chances of becoming a successful driver trainer.
Our portal will provide you with access to everything you require to successfully complete the different sections of the qualification at your convenience. You will regularly have contact with us and access to unparalleled support to fill in any gaps.
Student support is a cornerstone of our organisation. If you are a full-time, part-time or blended student with Intelligent Training Solutions, you will always have access to your course trainers or support officers, both before and after the completion of your course. Whether you wish to engage our services on a daily basis, once a week or in blocks is up to you. We have scheduled student support times as well as the ability to generate a support service at any time via our website. Support for this qualification is available in the following formats and times:
TYPE OF SUPPORT AVAILABLE DAYS AVAILABLE TIMES AVAILABLE PHONE SUPPORT MON, TUE, WED, THU, FRI 8.45am to 4.45pm EMAIL SUPPORT MON, TUE, WED, THU, FRI 8.45am to 4.45pm LIVE VIDEO CHAT MON, TUE, WED, THU, FRI 8.45am to 4.45pm FACE TO FACE MON, TUE, WED, THU, FRI 8.45am to 4.45pm AFTER HOURS MON, TUE, WED, THU, FRI, SAT BY APPOINTMENT
*NOTE: Responses to email support requests will occur during the times stated above, however, responses may be delayed up to 24 hours. If your support enquiry is urgent we recommend calling us.
BEFORE YOU ENROL
Before you enrol in this course, our enrolment officer will arrange to see you either in person or via a live video meet. During this meeting, you will be issued a Product Disclosure Statement (PDS) for this course. The information contained in our PDS expands on the information found on this web page or that was supplied to you over the phone when you first enquire with us. Prior to enrolment, one of our team will walk you through this document highlighting any expectations we will have from you and providing you with the transparency of your commitment to this course.
HOW TO ENROL IN THIS COURSE
If you would like to enrol in this course you must complete the enrolment process below. To enrol online simply click the button below of the course you wish to enrol in.
To get a PDF version of the enrolment form, visit the Student Administration section of our website, alternatively, you may wish to speak with one of our team during business hours.
Once you have completed step one, your enrolment officer will submit your enrolment forms to our office. Once received, the following process will be applied:
- You will receive a confirmation text message from us to inform you that we have received your enrolment form. This text message may take between 1 to 12 hours to arrive, and will only be sent Monday through Friday as this message is only transmitted once our team have your enrolment form in hand.
- For our blended delivery students, our administration team will call you to arrange your first face-to-face appointment with your trainer. If you are a full-time student your first face-to-face appointment will be day one of your course.
- You will receive a number of emails from us. These emails may take between 1 to 24 hours to arrive and may include:
- A welcome email will contain information and instructions on how to access your course along with your trainer’s contact details and the location and time of your scheduled training. Our welcome letter also contains details to your first face-to-face appointment with our trainer together with your student portal login details.
- We will send you a TAX invoice or receipt for your records regardless of your preferred payment option.
- We will send you an email containing information on your USI requirements for this course
- You will then receive a final text message (SMS) informing you that your enrolment has been processed. This final text message will also list the emails we have sent you so that you can be sure that you have received all our correspondence.
This course will be delivered from the following training venues and places in Victoria
QUALIFICATION ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA
There are no listed or identified entry requirements for this qualification within the training package. An inspection of the units of competency suggests that students wishing to enrol into this qualification should:
- Possess a current, full and unrestricted Australian drivers licence
- Fulfil all of the relevant state or territory regulatory requirements. Please refer to the CPVV website for further information
- Have LLN (Language, Literacy and Numeracy) skills equivalent to Level 3 or higher of the ACSF, which identifies adult English language, literacy and numeracy language indicators of competence.
NOTE: You will be required to complete an LLN indication assessment prior to your enrolment being accepted into this course. If you have any concerns about the LLN assessment please speak with us first as we are always happy to help.*
*Students who demonstrate LLN skills that are below a Level 3 can still participate and are expected to successfully complete this course, however, you will be encouraged to join our part-time course to ensure that our staff can provide you with the LLN support you may require.
INDUSTRY RECOMMENDED ENTRY REQUIREMENTS
The following criteria have been identified as recommended through industry engagement when undertaking this qualification as they reflect the job function of a driver trainer.
Organisations such as independent, small and large established driving schools (inclusive of solo operators) recommend that all participants wishing to become a Qualified Driving Instructor should have:
- Have reasonable computer skills to be able to create documents such as TAX invoices and browse the internet (for researching road rules, regulations and communicating with professional associations, industry groups and clubs. – Note: Computer skills will also be required for our blended delivery and part-time students. Our full-time students will have the support of their trainers and assessment and therefore won’t need computer skills in order to successfully participate and complete this qualification.
- Provide primary acceptable proof of identification
- Provide secondary proof of identification
- Meet the medical standards for licensing of commercial vehicle drivers as set out in the publication assessing fitness to drive.
- Complete an informed consent form provided by CPVV
- Pass a driver history check. Applicants will be checked for serious or frequent traffic offences.
NOTE: Please speak with your enrolment officer if you have any concerns with the recommended industry requirements.
Each unit of competence will be assessed. All assessments will be based on the principles of competency-based training (CBT). A successful outcome for this course will be determined by a range of different assessment methods including:
- Assessment or student workbook
- Written assessment
- Observation of simulated and practical activities
- Structured questioning and discussion
- Written or verbal questioning at the completion of each session.
RECOGNITION OF PRIOR LEARNING (RPL) | DIRECT CREDIT TRANSFER (DCT)
Intelligent Training Solutions will consider any credit or exemptions for previous studies or industry experience you have obtained. This may be through formal or informal training, paid or unpaid work experience. An application for DCT or RPL will be completed via a formal interview process prior to your enrolment. Further information is available by contacting our administration office and speaking with our training manager.
RESOURCES AND TEXTBOOKS
All learning and assessment materials required by this qualification are provided to you as part of your enrolment into this course, together with a printed hard copy in form of a course folder and contain:
- The student hand-out materials for each unit of competence
- The student assessment tools used on the course.
- The Regulator Drive Test Criteria
- Any learning materials that are in addition to the online presentations and videos
NOTE: Student learner guides are not provided in this course folder, instead we have contextualised the information of these units into an online presentation that you will have full access to as part of your Learner Portal. Learning and assessment materials are provided to you in PDF or Microsoft Word (electronic) format.
Replacement course folders are charged at $108.90 (inc GST)
In addition to the above, you will also be required to supply your own resources as follows:
- Working pens and highlighters
- A4 lined workbooks for taking notes
- An active email address
- A working computer or laptop with the following programs installed:
- Microsoft Word 365 or higher – (NOTE: Microsoft’s free OPEN Office software is also acceptable)
- The latest version of Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox
- The latest version of Adobe PDF Reader – This is a FREE program available for download online.
- Access to the Internet (ADSL2+ or 3G is the minimum requirement)
- USB memory stick (minimum 4 Gig).
- UV approved sunglasses, Sunscreen 50+ minimum, Sun hat and suitable shoes for driving. No thongs or bare feet will be allowed in our vehicles
The following resources are provided to you via PDF file format and are generally available free of charge as a PDF document from their publishers, however, it is strongly recommended that you consider purchasing printed copies of these textbooks to keep with you throughout the course and in your vehicle, once you become qualified as a driving instructor. Every driving instructor should have a printed copy of the road rules, regulations and testing criteria with them while on the job.
The publications listed in the table below can be purchased directly from the publishers or ordered through the Intelligent Training Solutions online store.
* Prices for the above publications may change without notice.
UPON SUCCESSFUL COMPLETION OF THIS COURSE
Once you have successfully completed this course you will be issued with a Record of Results and a Certificate of Completion within 30 days of your final successful assessment*.
*A student’s results and/or certificate will only be issued to a student once all enrolment fees have been paid in full with the exception of those student’s on a PayRight payment plan (interest-free student loan).
ASSOCIATED WEBSITES AND ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
The following websites have been provided to you for your reference and should assist you when making a decision about your career.
- Frank’s Engineering Pty Ltd – Website Established in 1986, Frank’s Engineering is a major provider of dual controls and driving school equipment in AUSTRALIA. Unfortunately, Frank’s Engineering is located in Victoria. Driving instructors around Australian send their vehicles to Frank’s engineering.
- Commercial Passenger Vehicles Victoria – Professional driving instructors in Victoria must hold a DIA when teaching an unlicensed person to drive a motor vehicle. The CPVV website contains DIA licencing regulations and applicant criteria…
- Information Victoria Bookshop The Information Victoria Bookshop is one of the main resources used by Driving Instructors to obtain copies of road-related text books and student handout materials.
TESTIMONIES, REVIEWS AND RATINGS
We strongly recommend checking out the reviews people have left for us on Google as we believe that live reviews and ratings speak volumes compared to the static snippets of favourable reviews most other training providers put on their websites.
Below is a live feed from our Google reviews. Please note as this is an unfiltered feed, the reviews listed below are from students of every course we deliver. If you wish to find a specific review on this course you may need to look through the list. 🙂